Re-Defining Adventure: The One Minute Mystic

//Re-Defining Adventure: The One Minute Mystic

Re-Defining Adventure: The One Minute Mystic

The most beautiful and most profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical. It is the sower of all true science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. – Albert Einstein

The One Minute Mystic

A young woman on the phone last week blew my world wide open.

Carissa Shumacher told me things about myself, my personal and family history that – had she hired a private investigator and spent a year researching on the Internet – she still could never have known. The impact on my world has been considerable and overwhelmingly positive.

A lifetime of adventures in places like Tibet, Sikkim and Siberia has provided me with a number of similar “anomalous experiences.” Anomalous experiences can be defined as “strange, extraordinary and inexplicable encounters with the unknown.” These experiences provide an opportunity to relinquish our death grip on “reality” long enough to expand our acceptance of what just might be possible. These moments can be the beginning of mysticism. They are also the beginning of innovation and exploration – a beacon pointing the in the direction of of our next great adventures.

Just as the human eye can only discern a tiny amount of the spectrum of light, according to Carissa: “The human brain can only process about 5% of what is going on around us. The other 95% of energy and vibration remain imperceptible to most.” In other words there is an awful lot going on that we just don’t understand. And – like cell phone service and satellites – just because I don’t understand something them doesn’t qualify me to claim that it doesn’t exist. Obviously I am not an engineer. Fortunately for us all, there are engineer adventurers. And medical science adventurers. Be it science, technology, aerospace or geography, the passion that guides us into the unknown with a passion to expand the limits of possibility is definition of adventure. And mysticism.

Mystics and adventurers have much in common as they set out for their respective terrae incognitae. Neither settle for easy answers but instead seek profound realities. Mystics and adventurers demand the best in themselves and others, but always with a sense of humor. They are quick to lead and slow to anger. They understand that it is our treatment of others not only determines our success, it is our success. Mystics and adventurers share an allegiance to the world beyond the mundane: to great beauty, to higher truths and to a life of wonder.

Discover your own inner-mystic and the ‘magic of life’ is omnipresent. Reawaken your sense of wonder, and the adventure of life will meet you around every corner, behind every leaf, at every turn in the road. Every day.


If name be needed,
Wonder names it all.
From wonder into wonder
Existence opens.
– Lao Tsu, The Tao Te Ching

Related Posts

Leave A Comment